LL-L "Names" 2010.02.01 (04) [EN]

Mon Feb 1 17:06:38 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 February 2010 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Diederik, you wrote:

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Hey Lowlanders,
I have another mistery for ye!
I just got this question from a Romanian friend of mine, but it goes beyond
my knowledge to answer it myself. Any of you any clues?

"Well... I want to find out any possible origin or appropriate meaning for
the surname "Möwis". It's a Germanic surname, I mean it comes from Germany,
but it's very very uncommon in Germany nowadays... I found only one German
word which is close to the name, which is "möwe", meaning gull or seagull...
The name, as far as I could trace it, comes from Mecklenburg... I don't know
deeper than that... But Mecklenburg was part of Denmark for a while...
Maybe there is any Norwegian word, or old Norwegian, who may sound closely
to that? Someone told me a few days ago that, in his opinion, the name Möwis
may have a Scandinavian resonance... The name as I wrote it is in it's
German form, so maybe in the past it had other form, I mean it may have been
written in some other way... (for example, nowadays in Romanian it became
Mevis)"

Thanks guys!
Diederik, Bergen (Norway)

I assume that Möwis is related to Möwes, Mewis, Mewes, Mews, etc.

Apparently these are Low Saxon ("Low German") family names and first names
and are derived from the first name Bartholomäus (Bartholomew), a
Graecisized form (Βαρθολομαίος *Bartholomaíos*, *Vartholomaíos*) of the
Judeo-Aramaic patronymic *bar Thôlmai* (בר תלמי) "son of Tôlmai".

The Romanian equivalent is *Bartolomeu*.

Seattle, USA