LL-L "Delectables" 2010.02.01 (08) [EN]

Tue Feb 2 01:09:51 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 February 2010 - Volume 08

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2010.02.01 (03) [EN]

> From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2010.01.31 (02) [EN]
>
> I still chuckle at the chip shop i none of those English Home County
> towns.Sign stated "Mary, Fish Fryer of distinction". She had to have
> been English.

As a frequent visitor to Whitby (the north-east Yorkshire one), this
doesn't seem so odd to me. With fresh fish coming in daily and dozens of
fish and chip shops and restaurants along the river, there's a lot of
competition between fryers. You see awards like "Best Young Fish Fryer
of the Year" and certainly if you go to the right places you get
battered fish that's far better than the usual, served with chips whose
cutting and frying have been carefully thought through.

Some fryers make the batter with beer, which as it vaporises leaves the
batter well-aerated, so it's light and crunchy.

Can't wait for April now...  :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/