LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.04 (01) [EN]

Thu Feb 4 19:11:15 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 February 2010 - Volume 01

From: Tomás Ó Cárthaigh <tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.03 (04) [EN]

Im on UTF08 on Yahoo and am getting gobbeldygook as well

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

*"a person with a good book is never alone... a writer until they've written
one is never at peace" *
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com<http://mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Technica

Thanks, Tom.

I wonder if you and those with the same problem need to configure the
language setup on your computers.

In Windows, go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > General >
Fonts. Make sure that fonts are chosen that have a large range of characters
(Time New Roman and Courier New as a minimum).

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac right here and thus can't figure out what
its equivalents are.

Another thing you need to do is check if your Internet browser lets you
configure what fonts to load, and you should "play" with that.

Please do me a favor, everyone, and enter our archives:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html
(If you enter anonymously you won't see e-mail addresses. To get full
access, let the site tell you how to get your own logon and password. In
either case you should be able to do this test.)

When I enter and choose an archived message it is automatically displayed in
Unicode.

So please click on Joachim's post: 8. LL-L "Etymology" 2010.02.02 (04) [EN]
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1002a&L=lowlands-l&F=&S=&P=9015)
Is there any gobbledigook, or are "special" characters displayed correctly?

If there is gobbledigook, your Internet browser's configurations need to be
changed to display Unicode correctly.
If your display is correct but the e-mail versions of posts are still
incorrect, then I guess you need to configure whatever e-mail program you
use (e.g. Eudora, Outlook, Thunderbird, X Mail, Opera Mail, Seamonkey). I
suggest you go to Help in that program and look for anything about font
display, search for "Unicode" or "UTF", etc.

If you get anywhere with this, please be aware of what are Unicode fonts
with large ranges of characters. Look for them on your computers or download
and install them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_fonts

Look for the list of typefaces halfway down the page. If on the right-hand
side it says that a font is included in Windows or Mac OS, you know that
they are already installed on your computers if your system uses the
respective operating systems.

I hope that this is helping at least some of you. If any of you made
progress as a result of this, please post a message or send one to me.

Question: Is there anyone here that uses a Mac and finds at least most
"special" characters displayed correctly? If so, we might be able to find
out more through him or her.

Seattle, USA