LL-L "Etymology" 2010.02.04 (02) [EN]

Thu Feb 4 19:15:25 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 February 2010 - Volume 02

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.03 (04) [EN]

Beste Joachim and All:
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

You wrote:
"I'd like to share with you my newest wonderment about the appellation of
latin "cavallus" in LS. Before I'd sworn, that DE Ross (for EN horse LS
piärd NL paard) is only DE, i.e. High German, whilst the original Saxon
appellation were "piärd/peerd/paard".
I also have heard of the original Latin derivation of  'perd' (in my
Afrikaans). This annoys me because it is a name of letter five, stave two in
the runes of the Migratory-Period 'Eitt'. I am cross because I would prefer
to believe:
    1. A letter borrowing from the Roman Language aught to have a Roman
shape, as many runes do.
    2. The Germans did not acquire their alphabet by way of the Romans, but
rather Gauls & maybe Greeks trading in Gaul, But even this is not too
helpful. We don't know a Gaulish Greek-based alphabet.
    3. We know that the runes did sometimes change in shape, order,
sound-value & name, but not in the case of 'Peorth'  also in the Anglo-Fries
Eitt, which keeps its shape, place & sound-value. & it doesn't look like a
'P'; more like a crushed staple. Bearing in mind our recent problems I will
not try to transmit the shape though my computer uses & recognises it.

For what its worth Afrikaans uses 'perd' almost exclusively, excepting
poetical, metaphorical or very sparse technical language, as in 'Ros en
ruiter' = horse & rider or 'roskam' = curry-comb.

Yrs,
Mark