LL-L "Etymology" 2010.02.04 (03) [EN]

Fri Feb 5 00:24:43 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 February 2010 - Volume 03

From: wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.02.04 (02) [EN]

>From wim verdoold  wkv at home.nl

Moin,

As a kid I was told that the word paard, peerd, pferd, comes from the latin
para ferid, ( side horse , or pack horse )  not from Germanic,   the dutch
word would be  Ros  ( English’s horse )

wim

----------

From: "Joachim Kreimer-de Fries" <soz-red at jpberlin.de>
Subject: Re: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.02.04 (02) [EN]

Am 04.02.2010,  Mark Dreyer scraif:

Bearing in mind our recent problems I will not try to transmit the shape
though my computer uses & recognises it.

That's a pitty, beste Mark & all,

I would have liked seeing it.

This annoys me because it is a name of letter five, stave two in the runes
of the Migratory-Period 'Eitt'. I am cross because I would prefer to
believe:
    1. A letter borrowing from the Roman Language aught to have a Roman
shape, as many runes do.
    2. The Germans did not acquire their alphabet by way of the Romans, but
rather Gauls & maybe Greeks trading in Gaul, But even this is not too
helpful. We don't know a Gaulish Greek-based alphabet.

    3. We know that the runes did sometimes change in shape, order,
sound-value & name, but not in the case of 'Peorth'  also in the Anglo-Fries
Eitt, which keeps its shape, place & sound-value. & it doesn't look like a
'P'; more like a crushed staple.

Do I understand well, you mean that this rune might be from R as Ros (=greek
P) and not from Latin P for piärd?

For what its worth Afrikaans uses 'perd' almost exclusively, excepting
poetical, metaphorical or very sparse technical language, as in 'Ros en
ruiter' = horse & rider or 'roskam' = curry-comb.

Yes, it is almost forgotten in LS languages, I wanted to take up the cudgels
for "ros, hors" in LS!

In this case it's not the insular Anglo-Saxon who changed to the Latin based
word, but the core continental LS languages (Low German and NL).

Met echt-westfœlsken »Goutgaun!«

joachim
--
Kreimer-de Fries
Osnabrügge => Berlin-Pankow

Mac BacicTeX 2009 - TeXShop 2.29 / TeXworks 0.2.3
LyX 1.6.5 - MacBook Pro intel OSX 10.4.11 Tiger