LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.05 (04) [EN]

Fri Feb 5 19:15:02 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 February 2010 - Volume 04

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technica"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

Folks,

As yet another experiment I am sending out the test string of characters in
HTML mode, this time using different fonts.

*Sans Serif*
Below is a string of "special" Roman characters (with diacritics and such):
¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ¬ ¬® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ • ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿ À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ
Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì
í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

*Serif*
Below is a string of "special" Roman characters (with diacritics and such):
¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ¬ ¬® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ • ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿ À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ
Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì
í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

*Courier New*
Below is a string of "special" Roman characters (with diacritics and such):
¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ¬ ¬® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ • ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿ À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ
Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì
í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

The previously sent experiments arrived as expected in my Yahoo mailbox.

This is the best New Year's present I had in years. I jumped for joy...all 4
messages sent since "Technica (01B)" came through, perfectly readable.
Including those of Hannelore Hinz. This is the first time in my life that
I'm able to fully read her messages...what a joy! Almost feels as if I've
discovered Rosetta's stone ;=).

The test message in "Technica (01A)" was still "Kauderwelsch" though
(nothing but variants of A).

Thanks a bunch Ron for straightening this out.

Kindest greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

I'll be b...! (I nearly used an Australian vulgarism.)

Thanks for your prompt response, Luc. When you are happy, I am happy. ;-]

But let's see if this wasn't a fluke. I *hope* it has been solved, but all I
did was switch from "Rich Format" to "Plain Text" and back to "Rich Format".
If this solved the problem the back-and-forth switch must have removed some
bugaboo somewhere. What do *you* think, Marcus?

I hope we aren't rejoicing too soon.

Seattle, USA