LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.02.16 (03) [EN-NDS]

Tue Feb 16 23:31:56 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 February 2010 - Volume 03

From: Joachim <soz-red at jpberlin.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.02.16 (02) [NDS, EN]

Leywen Nidderdüüsdsken in all Lowlanden,

--- hope Reinhard will do a good job to past this tabled html mail correctly
into the list ;-) ---

Nu will ik nomaul up de frauge van de beteykenge van uuse spraukfamilge
torügkuomen.  Ik glöiwe, ik hewwe ruutfuunen, wou me düsse spaukfamilge
üewer eewen nöimt heft, auk in Nederland un Belgien: *"Nidderdüüdsk"*!

Dår was anno 1882 in Groningen (NL) en gesamt-nidderdüüdske sammelnge van
volksdöümliken texten in 3 bänden versciinen, van 2 Nederlandske geläärde
met dem tittel:

VAN DE SCHELDE TOT DE WEICHSEL.

*NEDERDUITSCHE* DIALECTEN

IN DICHT EN ONDICHT,

UITGEKOZEN EN OPGEHELDERD DOOR

JOH. A. LEOPOLD en L. LEOPOLD.

Deel 1: Frankrijk - Zuid-Nederland - Noord-Nederland

Deel 2: Neder-Duitschland

Deel 3: Friesland

Deel 1 ümmefat t. b. auk Gent, Antwerpen, Brüssel, Noord-Brabant, Limburg,
Gelderland, Utrecht, Overijsel un Groningen.

Deel 2 ümmefat u. a. Oustfreysklant, Oldenburg,   Nord-Niddersassen,
Mecklenburg, Pommern, Prüüssen, Branneburg, Westphalen, Kleve, un Krefeld.

Deel 3: Freysklant, Nordfreysk (Mohringen, Sylt u. a.)

*De Bänne siint van de "dbnl" digitaliseert worden:*

_______________________link:________________

I'm coming back again to the question how to label our common language
family. I believe I found out, how this language family had been called over
centuries, also in Netherlands and Belgium: *"Low German!"*

In the year 1882 in Groningen (NL) had been published an all-lowlandish
collection of folkish literature in 3 volumes, made by 2 Dutch
folkethnologists with the titel:

*From the Schelde to the Weichsel.*

*Low German* *dialects*

*in poems and prosa,*

*choosen and elucidated by …*

<= contents of the volumes

Part 1 with parts of Belgium and Netherland.

Part 2 with all Northern and Eastern Germany, Westphalia and Netherrhine.

Part 3: Frisia, Northfrisia

*The "dbnl" - Digital Library of Netherland - has digitalisized them:*

___________________link:__________________

<http://www.dbnl.org/titels/titel.php?id=leop008sche00>
http://www.dbnl.org/titels/titel.php?id=leop008sche00

Nu, wou dünket ju dat? Is dat nig förwaar en grunt, et us nig tou swår to
maken met de benöimge van den Nidderdüüdsk-Nidderlandsken dialektkontinuum?
Wan to'ner tiit, dau platdüüdsk no åldagsprauk was, auk de Flaamsken un
Nidderlandsken eere sprauk "Nederduits" nöimt hewwet. (Ås je auk de
Ousterriiker nin problem hewwet eere sprauke Düüdsk of
Buawendüüdsk/Haugdüüdsk to nöimen?)

What do you think about that? Wouldn't that be a reason, not to be too
scrupulous / complicated in the term for the Low-German-Netherlandish
dialect continuum? As to times, when Low German still had been everyday
speech, Flemings and the Dutch called there language "Low German". (Like as
the Austrians have no problem calling their language German or
Upper-/High-German?

Roland Desnerck scraif:

 Er besaan in het Nederlands: …

in het West-Vlaams (en Oostends): …

demnau / therefore:

*EN              NDS (westfœlsk)              NL (standard-nl)
           West-Vlaams*

to shoot:     sceyten [sxɛɪtɘn]              schieten1 [sxi:tɘn]
         sjhietn (lang-ie)

                      scaut, heft scauten             schoot - heeft
geschoten            sjhoot, gesjhootn

to shit:        sciiten [sxi:tɘn]                 schijten [sxæɪtɘn / sxaɪtɘn]
     sjhietn (kort-ie)

                      scait, heft sciten                 scheet - heeft
gescheten             sjhait, gesjheetn

Ik huope, dat ik dat recht verstaun hewwe (Roland hatte miin biispel
ümmekäärt, odder?).

I hope, I understood well (Roland had reversed the sequence of my shoot vs.
shit, isn't it?

Met echt-westfœlsken »Goutgaun!«

joachim

--