LL-L "History" 2010.02.23 (08) [DE-EN]

Tue Feb 23 22:28:50 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 February 2010 - Volume 08

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2010.02.23 (06) [DE-EN]

From: Joachim <Osnabryg+Lowlands at googlemail.com<Osnabryg%2BLowlands at googlemail.com>

 Has anybody knowledge of such early import/colonization of flemish (or
french or italian) territories by Saxon, caused by Charlemagne's
deportation?

 It interests me in the context of the controversiale issue of
"Saxon-LowFranconian dialect continuum".

The source is this sentence in the Vita Karoli Magni by Einhard:

"Nam numquam eos huiuscemodi aliquid perpetrantes inpune ferre passus est,
quin aut ipse per se ducto aut per comites suos misso exercitu perfidiam
ulcisceretur et dignam ab eis poenam exigeret, usque dum, omnibus qui
resistere solebant profligatis et in suam potestatem redactis, decem milia
hominum ex his qui utrasque ripas Albis fluminis incolebant cum uxoribus et
parvulis sublatos transtulit et huc atque illuc per Galliam et Germaniam
multimoda divisione distribuit."

In English (source:
<http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/einhard.html#Saxon%20War><http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/einhard.html#Saxon%20War>
):

"on the contrary, he never allowed their faithless behavior to go
unpunished, but either took the field against them in person, or sent his
counts with an army to wreak vengeance and exact righteous satisfaction. At
last, after conquering and subduing all who had offered resistance, he took
ten thousand of those that lived on the banks of the Elbe, and settled them,
with their wives and children, in many different bodies here and there in
Gaul and Germany."

Marcus Buck