LL-L "Grammar" 2010.01.12 (01) [EN-NL]

Tue Jan 12 14:43:34 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 January 2010 - Volume 01

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.01.11 (04) [EN]

Ron wrote:
And here's a piece of trivia (a *trivium?), an aberration: following the
usual pattern, the Dutch name for "India" ought to be **Indië*, but it is in
fact *India*. I assume this is because *Indië* (*< Oostindi**ë*, *Nederlands
Indië**)* was the colloquial name for Indonesia under Dutch colonial rule
(and still is for some Dutch people that dwell in the long passed *tempo
dhulu* of colonialism).

True dat, the OFFICIAL name is India in Dutch as well - however in spoken
language everyone calls it Indië, at least in Belgium. I'm not 100% sure how
widespread the use of Indië is but outside formal context like the news or
geography classes in high school I don't know anyone who actually pronounces
the name with -ia (except a few purists trying to speak "on the letter"),
all will say -ië.

Maybe in the Netherlands this is different because of their colonies tho.

Diederik

----------

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Just read on Wikipedia confirming my thought in my post a few minutes ago:

"De term *India* is vooral in Nederland gebruikelijk geworden in navolging
van de Engelse benaming. De term *Indië* is lange tijd gebruikelijk geweest
in België, maar wordt naar Nederlands voorbeeld nu ook geleidelijk vervangen
door *India*. *Indië* is in het noorden synoniem geworden voor *Nederlands
Indië <http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nederlands_Indi%C3%AB>*, dat in feite op
Indonesië duidt."

Confirming my theory that in Belgium "Indië" is the "autochthonous"/normal
name, and Ron's theory that (in Holland at least) IndiË is used for
Indonesia

Cheers
Diederik