LL-L "Grammar" 2010.01.11 (04) [EN]

Tue Jan 12 03:04:27 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 January 2010 - Volume 04

From: karlrein at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.01.11 (02) [EN]

*As an aging native speaker of English, I would like to say that:

I have only heard of "THE Ukraine" and "THE Netherlands".  On the other
hand, I do not remember ever hearing "the Alsace" or "the Lebanon".   I
realize that I am differing with someone from another country (I am from the
United States), so if asked to use "the Shetlands" in a sentence I would
have said, without further information, "The Shetlands were grazing in the
pasture."

As to collections of islands, only THE West Indies, THE Dutch Antilles,
etc.  At least I think so, when the plural-marker is there.

It is obvious that these choices differ from one country or region to
another as well as from one language to another.

Apparently most British speakers speak of THE ArgenTINE, whereas Americans,
and, I assume, Canadians, speak of ArgenTINA.  And my Lebanon is my LE Liban
in French, whereas THE Congo parallels LE Congo.

In Spanish Estados Unidos as subject takes a singular verb, whereas LOS
Estados Unidos is plural, something most speakers of Spanish are unaware of
unless someone points out the difference.   They both refer to the same
place.

Oh yes, I still say AUX IndeS when I forget that I am supposed to say EN
Inde.  Did this come with Independence?

All this gives us language-folk topics to worry about.  And have fun with.

Karl Reinhardt*

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Hello, Karl!

It's really nice to hear from you again.

By the way, in case this is news to you: *all* of us are aging (though we at
Lowlands-L are most definitely improving with age).

And here's a piece of trivia (a *trivium?), an aberration: following the
usual pattern, the Dutch name for "India" ought to be **Indië*, but it is in
fact *India*. I assume this is because *Indië* (*< Oostindi**ë*, *Nederlands
Indië**)* was the colloquial name for Indonesia under Dutch colonial rule
(and still is for some Dutch people that dwell in the long passed *tempo
dhulu* of colonialism).

Seattle, USA