LL-L "Grammar" 2010.01.11 (03) [EN]

Mon Jan 11 21:18:43 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 January 2010 - Volume 03

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

I agree that the rule of thumb is "regions with article; countries without
article," Diederik.

Nowadays, this is true, but historically speaking I'm not sure if dialect
speakers ever wondered if an area was a region or a country. Maps have been
redrawn a couple of times during the last millennium. My own country is
still colloquially referred to as "den Belzjiek", Wallonia is labelled "de
Walen" and even a whole continent like Africa is "den Afriek".

Belgium can also be called "Belzen" (without article), similar to "Spojnen"
and "Itojlen", and conform with German "Belgien", "Spanien" and "Italien".
Grimm explains "-en" as the dative plural case of a name for the inhabitants
(cf. Bayern) which was then applied to other territories as well.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium