LL-L "Etymology" 2010.01.20 (01) [EN]

Wed Jan 20 16:27:50 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 January 2010 - Volume 01

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.01.19 (03) [EN]

“Nasenhaarschneider, only I don't know what that is called in English.”

Nose hair trimmer.

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, MD

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.01.19 (02) [EN-NDS-NL]

May we really imagine the ancient "Nordmänner" taking a downright real bath
-- with soap, warm water, towels and everything -- in a wooden tub *every
saturday*? *Every* saturday? Even in winter? Or maybe even in cold water,
when no warm water could be got? This is fascinating. I feel I have wronged
them hitherto. I had very modest ideas about historical hygiene. Now I will
not be surprised about them having had toothbrushes (a new one every month
or so?) and maybe Nasenhaarschneider, only I don't know what that is called
in English.