LL-L "Delectables" 2010.01.31 (01) [EN]

Sun Jan 31 08:49:07 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 January 2010 - Volume 01

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2010.01.30 (02) [EN]

On 31/01/2010, at 5:18 AM,  Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

 I don't know exactly what caused the difference, but increasingly from the
60s onward English chip shops were increasingly run by people who weren't of
British Isle origin, and obviously had their own ideas as to what did and
didn't make a good fried spud.

As a veteran patron of Scots chips shops very few were run by folks of
British origin, fact is the vast majority were run by Italians.
Names such as De Rollo, Cici, Lannies, DeMarco, Paolozzi, were emblazoned on
the fronts of most. Many were detained when Italy joined Germany in WW2 one
unfortunate man's shop was attacked by local thugs. Within a short time
however all reverted to normal. Our local place however was run by a Scot,
he cooked wearing a brown coat and aways had a fag dangling from his lips.
His culinary results were vastly inferior to those from the
Italians.
A deviation from this norm were The Chip Vans. Converted old covered in vans
with small frying units therein. These were heated by a coal fire
below the range and a long chimney projected from the roof. As they ran
along trails of sparks heralded their progress. All of those I encountered
were run by indigenous Scots.
One Italian proprietor in Edinburgh met a terrible end, his exotic frier
caught fire and the silly man threw a bucket of water over it.
Boiling fat "exploded" blowing him through the plate glass window.

 Best Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
An honest man's the noblest work of God (Robert Burns)