LL-L "Delectables" 2010.01.30 (02) [EN]

Sat Jan 30 19:18:37 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 January 2010 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2010.01.29 (02) [EN]

Scottish chippies have been superior to ours in England for as long I can
remember, with only a few exceptions.  I remember my first visit there in
1969; there was one place in my home town of Leicester that could match what
any chip shop there could do routinely.

I don't know exactly what caused the difference, but increasingly from the
60s onward English chip shops were increasingly run by people who weren't of
British Isle origin, and obviously had their own ideas as to what did and
didn't make a good fried spud.  They remained "indigenous" in Scotland a lot
longer.  That said, the chips that the various Algerian/Lebanese/Syrian
whatever kebab shops sell are usually much better than the fish and chip
shops for some reason.

Paul