LL-L "Language education" 2010.07.04 (01) [EN]

Sun Jul 4 20:10:40 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 04 July 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Language education"!

Dear LL-L community,

this morning my youngest son (15) has left me for a 3 weeks stay in
Bornemouth/UK. He's busy in a language course over there - a kind of pretty
consequent "crash course", because they, the young participitiants, are not
allowed to talk German to each other as far as any British person is
present.

It is the very first time that we are separated for a "long" time as this.
Very strange for me, and some tears of course came up when we had to
say  good-bye
after checking in at the airport Hamburg....

I told him to inform his "Gast-Eltern" (no match for this word either in
dict.cc or in Leo!!!; it could be "parents for a time" or "hosting parents")
that he is living in the region "Hadeln" - the original area where the
Anglo-Saxons started their journey to the British Islands some 1,500 years
ago ;-)!

I hope he will learn a lot and not put any shame to his parents ;-)!

(BTW: My oldest son has had a stay in London last week [for business
reasons]; the second one started on Friday for a four days trip to
Manchester[??]. Pure anglophilie ;-), isn't it?!)

Have a nice evening!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com