LL-L "History" 2010.07.07 (04) [EN]

Wed Jul 7 20:34:31 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 07 July 2010 - Volume 04*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "History"

Dear Lowlanners,

obviously nobody takes care about the fact that the German state of Lower
Saxony since the 2nd of July has a new governor. He is a scotsman by his
fathers side and his name is David McAllister. He has both the German and
the British citizenship. He also is our regional candidate for the
parliament, born in Berlin and grown up and still living at "Bederkesa",
which in Low Saxon has become damaged to "Beers".

He is by far the youngest governor ever in Germany - just 39 years old, a
notorious snappy speaker and famous for his ability to get along with all
social classes while drinking beer  with a mason in a pub as well as
champagne with a CEO at any official party. I've had the pleasure to meet
this winsome guy twice, because he has visited the same school as my
ex-wife.

He has married (his German wife) in an original Scottish kilt (well, that
may have been layed on a little thick...); now I wonder if we have to learn
Scots as another official language in Lower Saxony ;-)!

Probably he is the British answer on King George II., because his Hanoveran
descendence caused the fact that the "State, later Kingdom of Hanover" had
been in personal union with the British Empire for about 110 years ;-)!

(BTW: our Lower Saxony "Minister of Youth and Family" is a female Muslim of
Turkish descendence - in Germany another novum as well. Sometimes I really
think that the state of Lower Saxony is extremely openminded for a
"Flaechenstaat"(?? 'areal state' ??). This may be a result of continual
integration of people of foreign descendence throughout history.)

Friendly regards

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com