LL-L "History" 2010.07.10 (01) [EN-NDS]

Sat Jul 10 16:38:39 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 10 July 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "History"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

All this is very well and good ... Without wanting to poo-poo the said
(fine) flag effort, please allow me to play the devil’s advocate (on which
Jonny does not have the monopoly). Sure, I’m the first person to admit that
I have a religious bias. Aside from this, I do see the part about a link
with Scandinavia ... and I’m a major fan of Scandinavia myself, nay, of *all
* of the Nordic Countries (and I include Estonia, Finland, Livonia, Karelia
and the rest of what is now northwestern Russia).

Another devil's advocate here...hell gets crowded these days isn't
it...temperature sure helps.

I'm also a fan of anything remotely Scandinavian (without the religious bias
that is). Next week I intend to make a motorbike trip from Belgium to Sweden
and Finland and return via Karelia and the Baltics. What I noticed so far
though, is that if you go far enough East (Finland, Russia), the fascination
for French, Italian and even Turkish culture starts again...definitely
music-wise.

Guess you would rather substitute the cross for a captain's hat or a pan of
scouse? ;=)

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: History

How about the Saxon horse? It's used in Northern Germany, the Eastern
Netherlands and in Kent, England. And Saxon houses tended to have the
characteristic crossed horse heads.

Snorre tells me that this horse ought to be black, that the usual white
horse represents Charlemagne. I didn't know that. I find it interesting,
though, that Kent has this white horse too, and Saxon settlement there
predates the Frankish conquest on the continent.

Another Saxon symbol is the cog ship, representing the Hanseatic Trading
League.

Seattle, USA