LL-L "History" 2010.07.11 (02) [EN]

Sun Jul 11 22:09:12 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 11 July 2010 - Volume 02*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "History" 2010.07.11 (01) [EN]

Reinhard,

thanks for your answer. We've just halftime in the football match between
The Netherlands and Spain, so I have to hurry up ;-)!

> Irrespective of what my own view is in this matter, I need to point out
that I understand this endeavor to aim at the

> institution of a specifically *Low Saxon* flag, not one of more general
“Ingveonia”, “Lowlands” or such. At least this is my

> understanding of the information presented. This might explain what you
are missing the mentioned argument in this thread.

Yes, you're right - I'm a little bit irritated by the term
"Noordland-Flagg". This could include more than 'just' the language of LS.

But if it exclusively shall represent *'Lowlands'* this doesn't change my
point of view too much.

If you read one of the links Marcus gave us you'll find the argument that
the German semi-province of Eastern Frisia doesn't feel comfortable itself
with any Saxon symbols like a horse. And that is probably the community with
the greatest number of Low Saxon speakers in Germany.

The same could be valid for our closely neighboured Wurt-Frisians as well as
for the Northern Frisians in Schleswig-Holstein. And what about the (as you
named them some weeks ago...) "colonial" ;-) provinces with speakers of LS -
as Mecklenburg in special?

So I think these more neutral heraldic (or [German:] 'Vexillologie' - never
heard this word before) should not become overloaded by symbols of the type
others than Saxons can't identify themselves with.

Whatever - I like this flag!

The match goes on!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm