LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.13 (03) [EN]

Tue Jul 13 22:02:09 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 13 July 2010 - Volume 03*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "History" 2010.07.12 (06) [EN-NL]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: LL-L "History"
>

> “Something behind the horse”? Are you thinking what I am thinking?
> That sure would make it different. Papa like!

Welcome to the new art of observational vexillology  :)

Dorset, our neighbouring county, got a flag last year, which I've seen
flying in a couple of places: http://dorsetflag.webs.com/

I think this is good in the sense that it's simple, it's not hard to see
where the design comes from, and the colour scheme gives a pleasing
effect. It may be that the suggested "Low Saxon" flag breaks some of
these guidelines, especially with the clashing colours.

On the other hand the unofficial Somerset flag (which I've never seen
flying anywhere even though I live here)  shows you what NOT to do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Somerset  :)

Another good example of simplicity and effectiveness is the Edinburgh
flag, which is just the Scottish flag (the Saltire) with the colours
reversed: nice and unpretentious. The sheer lack of originality can be
good because even if you've just spotted it for the first time you get a
feeling that it might be Scottish in some way, just as with the Dorset
flag you can see that it's possibly English.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/