LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.16 (04) [EN]

Fri Jul 16 20:52:49 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2010 - Volume 04*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.16 (03) [EN]

On 16 Jul 2010, at 19:53, Ron wrote:

> We’ve moved on: from “Saxon” to (generally) “Lowlands”.

That's a pity. Heraldry is inspiring. The flags you showed, well, forgive
me, are uninspiring pastel tricolours.

There are many, many heraldic symbols. What about thinking of some of those?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Vexillology

Michael,

We were talking about simple design for *flags*, and this was supposed to be
an example. At the same time it is different in its color combination and
the sizing and order of the fields.

There’s a (slightly vague) division between vexillology (i.e. flags) and
heraldry (shields), although some flags do include heraldic symbols, and
many of those are “weird”, unclear or simply too numerous, complex and
confusing. This is because many people want to make flags into something
they are not: rectangular heraldic shields. If I designed a Lowlands
heraldic shield it certainly *would* contain heraldic symbols. Places have
flags and they have heraldic shields. They’re supposed to be different
creatures.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>