LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.17 (01) [EN]

Sat Jul 17 14:37:39 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2010 - Volume 04*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.16 (04) [EN]

On 16 Jul 2010, at 21:52, Lowlands-L List wrote:

> There’s a (slightly vague) division between vexillology (i.e. flags) and
heraldry (shields), although some flags do include heraldic symbols, and
many of those are “weird”, unclear or simply too numerous, complex and
confusing. This is because many people want to make flags into something
they are not: rectangular heraldic shields. If I designed a Lowlands
heraldic shield it certainly would contain heraldic symbols. Places have
flags and they have heraldic shields. They’re supposed to be different
creatures.

Not in Wales.

And in Ireland we have this boring and contentious tricolour. But the
original flag was a harp on a green field. Both heraldic and vexilly. At
least the President of Ireland still uses it, a harp on a blue field.

In any case, my opinion of the horizontal stripes you have is that it's not
very inspiring.

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.16 (03) [EN]

Re Ron’s Flags……

Please keep Nr 1. My heart recognized it. You don’t need to mess with
heraldic symbolism. Everyone’s memories can fill flowers, cows or horses and
some birds in the sky. Thanks Ron! Jacqueline

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

From: M.-L. Lessing
<marless at gmx.de<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=marless@gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.16 (02) [EN]

Paul, I assure you, if you look into northern german sky *these days*...!
You might think the colors of Rons flag wanting in intensity :-)

Marlou

What's changed? global warming and all that? Sounds like a great excuse to
get over there and have another loook for myself (the last time I passed
through northern Germany and the Netherlands was in the middle of winter).

Paul

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Symbols don't have to be heraldic to be striking, and flags don't have to be
restricted to stripes. The very impressive flags of Canada and Japan are two
very good examples. I'm no big fan of the European Union, but I think it's a
great flag - though as more members join it's in danger of ending up looking
like a dodgy wizard's cloak in a school play.

Tricoleurs (Driekleurings?) and other stripey flags traditionally have a
"revolutionary" element, starting with the French who kicked it all off. The
idea is that it requires no special skill to make one, and if the Nasty
Authorities come snooping around looking for dissidents, a few cuts turn
your provocative flag into three different coloured tea-towels.

Are the Lowlands planning on revolting, and if so, against whom exactly?
I'll most likely cheer from the sidelines - but if I'm going to take sides,
I like to know who we're playing.

Paul

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Vexillology

Paul,

Are the Lowlands planning on revolting, and if so, against whom exactly?
I'll most likely cheer from the sidelines - but if I'm going to take sides,
I like to know who we're playing.

Hmm... That’s an idea.

The most obvious candidate would be, of course ... the Highlands. They’ve
have it coming, I'd say.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>