LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.09 (06) [EN-NDS]

Sun Jul 18 22:06:58 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 18 July 2010 - Volume 06
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Vexillology

Dear Lowlanders,

Again Snorre Björkson responded privately to our thread. I’ll attach his
message at the end.

One of the things he says is that the white horse flag of Kent is not old.
This begs at least two questions. When and why was it chosen? Is it a
coincidence or is there a connection with Saxon territory on the continent?

Personally I keep feeling quite uncomfortable with a *new* regional flag
that uses the cross design, Nordic or otherwise. It is probably true that
nowadays the average North European does not clearly thinks of the cross on
flags such as those of the Nordic Countries, Britain and Switzerland as
screaming “This is Christian land!” However, to the average non-Christian,
especially from outside the area, it does scream that and it implies,
“Expect to be tolerated here, at best.”

Yes, there are numerous flags with religious symbolism throughout Eurasia
and Northern Africa, and in many cases the message is intended even
nowadays.

I am emphasizing “*new* flag,” creating a flag at this time when we fancy
ourselves as being more enlightened, tolerant and open.

Please do not understand this as a specifically anti-Christian or
anti-religious expression on my part. I am concerned about choosing
*any*religiously based symbolism in regional flags in this day and age
of rapidly
developing universal communication and mobility, especially in the face of
reemerging zealotry and strive based on religious affiliation or
association.

In the case of the North European Lowlands there are further reasons for my
feeling of unease with the cross motif:

(1) As I mentioned earlier, Saxons and Slavs of that region were conquered
and brutally treated and their cultures and languages came to be suppressed,
most of this officially in the name of (forced) Christian conversion.

(2) The cross was *the* symbol of the Crusades that resulted in unspeakable
atrocities in Europe and the Middle East, something that remains vivid in
the minds of Jews and especially Muslims. Yes, the cross *is*
*the*Christian symbol, and there’s nothing wrong with that, of course.
But on a
regional or national flag it comes with considerable baggage, especially as
seen from the outside.

(3) As happened throughout Europe, those that practiced religions other than
Christianity (in the Lowlands case mostly “Pagans” [“witches”], Roma and
Jews) were persecuted and slaughtered for centuries, most of the time in the
name of Christianity, and anti-Islamic sentiments are still strong there and
elsewhere in Europe.

In the case of Germany, to which a large chunk of the Continental Lowlands
and the largest chunk of the Saxon area belongs, there is the added fact
that in recent years Judaism was made into a state religion alongside
Christianity. (Let’s not go into discussions about the possible reasons for
this and for excluding Islam, the religion of a far larger percentage of the
population.) I just feel that this adds weight to the argument that a
Christian symbol ought to be avoided *in this day and age*, no matter how
nonchalantly the average resident may think about it.

But that’s just little *moi*.

Seattle, USA

Snorre’s message:

Dat Sassenpeer in dat Wappen van Kent is neet oold.

Wat spietelk - man offizieell is dat eerst dat Teken södder 1930 or 1933.

Ik meen, dat witte Peer is dör de Personalunion na Ingland kamen.

Herford hett dat swatte Teken van den haidschen Widukind as Teken.

As een Minsk, de in Neddersassen bi to leven is:

Dat witte Peer is för mi een "Amtsschimmel". Sien Knööv is verlüstig gåån.

De dammeldösige Flagg van Neddersassen (wat ja egens keen egen Flagg is,

is blots de bundesdüütsche Flagg met een Wappen upp) hett ook dat witte
Peer.

Wåår is denn de Ünnerscheed! Nej, dat schall dat swatte Peer ween or beter
går keen.

Snorre

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>