LL-L "Resources" 2010.07.23 (03) [EN]

Fri Jul 23 23:07:13 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 23 July 2010 - Volume 03
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Montgomery Michael <ullans at yahoo.com>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.07.23 (02) [EN]

Dear All

This message is directed not at the posting below so much as it is to a
larger issue that it raises.

I would suggest that no book be listed as recommended without some kind of
commentary or annotation, such as a short paragraph summarizing its
contents, a word about the author (and maybe his/her credentials), and an
evaluative comment or two.  If someone has read a book and wantsto recommend
it, do the rest of us the favor or spending a very few minutes writing an
annotation (something more than an enthusiastic endorsement of a sentence or
two!).  There are just far too many books/websites/&c. emerging to keep
track of, and te lack of any kind of commentary or other way to evaluate
them makes it impossible to glean the wheat from the chaff.  So many books
invite our attention, but I for one would like to have some idea whether, if
I purchase a particular one, it will be worth keeping for later reference.
Amazon is set up for quick purchases, not for deciding whether a book is
worth the price.

Michael Montgomery

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Resources

Thanks, Michael. That’s a good point.

I invite everyone to send me reviews of relevant books, CDs, DVDs, etc., and
I will post them.

Thanks in advance!

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com