LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.24 (01) [EN]

Sat Jul 24 14:58:03 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 23 July 2010 - Volume 04
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.23 (04) [EN]

On 24 Jul 2010, at 00:10, Lowlands-L List wrote:

> And recognised as such. A cross or any other religious symbol is just not
a good for a flag in my opinion. Where I"m from, we had Saxon speaking
muslims (if all the kids speak Saxon, what do you do...). I'm sure they
would take offence.

Why? Do they complain about the flags in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway,
Iceland, the Faeroes? What about the non-Nordic crosses used in the UK and
Cornwall. Should those folks all abandon their flags? Hmpf.

And what's so awful about "offence", anyway? What if people start saying
they are "offended" by so much political correctness? As a non-theistic
Buddhist, am I "offended" because part of my Irish television licence goes
to broadcasting Mass on Sunday? Actually I am more offended when they use it
to pay for a "professional" astrologer on the afternoon chat-shows. Not,
perhaps, that there is much difference.

Personally I do not get a feeling of "Christianity" from the Nordic Cross
flags. If anything I get an impression of Vikings and swords. Nice medieval
stuff. :-) Not anti-Muslim, not pro-Christian. But excellent designs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Cross_flag shows many. I think it would
be cool, if Ireland ever gets united, to adopt one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Nordic_Cross_flag#Teutonic-Celtic_flag

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>