LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.25 (02) [EN]

Sun Jul 25 18:44:58 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 25 July 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.24 (01) [EN]

I fully agree.  As I've said before, being an atheist doesn't make me
"offended" by the English Cross of St.George, far from it. I don't have any
faith or interest in saints or their kind, but it's still my flag and my
land.

Christians don't own the cross any more than Muslims own the Moon; you might
as well say that Americans own the stars and that the Sun is Japanese!

If various religious, political or other social groups want to be upset
about something, they will be.  Never underestimate the joy of outraged
self-righteous indignation, some people absolutely love it. If you remove
whaterever it is they don't like to mollify them, they'll desperately look
for something else to get offended by.  And in the meantime hate you more
for spoiling their fun.  Or because you made them happy, and some of them
detest happiness.

Nobody goes out of the way to worry about what atheists or rationalists
think when the various True Believers expound ideas that I think do
more real harm to society.  I'm quite flattered really, presumably they
recognise that we have more sense?

Paul

Derby

England

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.24 (04) [EN]

I do quite like Ron's flag. But, call me a simplistic peasant, I Iike
pictures and symbols.

Try as I might, I can't help thinking that all stripey flags look like they
were nicked from somebody's deckchair.

Paul

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>