LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.25 (03) [EN]

Sun Jul 25 22:54:11 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 25 July 2010 - Volume 03
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.24 (02) [EN]

Mark Dreyer skreev:

I can only warn all interested parties that trying to be all things to all
men violates not only the design but the spirit of the thing. If the flag
embraces only one small faction, whatever it may be, then so be it! I might
add that a march-past of a hundred standard-bearers waving the self-same
bunting strikes me as the epitome of tedium, if not a threat of something
worse. But hold, what about a hundred men wielding a hundred different,
distinctive flags? Suddenly you have a parade, if not a carnaval! & suddenly
you have a visceral layout of the locale's cultural foison plenty. Isn't
that worth cultivating? To each his own, & having different neighbours makes
you special in your own way, as much as they.

I do agree with Mark. Better to all be different than force something upon a
lot of people.

I do see however why some people feel a need for 1 flag for all. So how
about this: we take the age old Saxon symbol of the white horse upon the red
field, but for everybody who wants to be different (like the East Frisians),
they add a little something to it.

cheers,
Henry Pijffers

PS

Yes, Charlemagne did convert our Saxon forebears at point of sword, but let
us not suppose that they were peaceable milquetoasts without animus to
anybody

I don't know about the rest, but at least in my home area they were
provoked. Lebuinus used to destroy Saxon places of worship and build
churches instead. Then the Saxons came and destroyed his churches. This went
back and forth.