LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.26 (02) [EN]

Mon Jul 26 16:42:31 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 26 July 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.25 (03) [EN]

On 25 Jul 2010, at 23:54, Lowlands-L List wrote:

> I do see however why some people feel a need for 1 flag for all. So how
about this: we take the age old Saxon symbol of the white horse upon the red
field, but for everybody who wants to be different (like the East Frisians),
they add a little something to it.

That's why I suggested a red horse on a white field.

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Dear Lowlanners,

after these sheer endless but interesting discussions about a Lowlandic flag
seem to ebb away I at last would try to put in my two cents.

I very much like the blueprint which Ron made, too, but some of us are
missing a symbol in addition. As I've written earlier I should not
appreciate the Saxon horse for some reasons, and a cross, maybe even the
nordic type, seems to be a problem as well.

So what's about the idea of the NATO-symbol as you might view here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO

A cross looking like a star - or a star looking like a cross, in some aspect
like a wind rose. It might be able to express a lot of symbolism: "cross"
for the common occidential culture, "wind rose" for the common foretime as
seafarers, "star" standing for* *globalism*, 'universalism (pun intended!)'*,
for the spreading of Lowlandic languages and ideas out into many parts of
the world.

I think it could not offend anyone or any group.

(BTW: I don't mean to adopt the NATO symbol in its original shape but
something similar to it.)

Regards!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Vexillology

Further in this persistent thread ...

I had “submitted” this Lowlands flag design:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/treasures/ll-flag01.jpg

To go with Sandy, some of you “got it,” others apparently did not.

In the meantime I have experimented with additional symbols (as did Sandy),
including the Sami-type circle Uwe pointed out (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_flag). However, I find that all of these
additions put the flag design over the top ("gild the lily," so to speak
...).

Also, I noticed that a couple of you are still confusing two purposes:
(1) a (general) Lowlands flag
(2) a (Low) Saxon flag

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com