LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.26 (03) [EN]

Mon Jul 26 17:10:04 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 26 July 2010 - Volume 03
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.25 (03) [EN]

> From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.24 (04) [EN]
>
> Sandy skreev:
>
> To my mind traditional heraldry is just propaganda for the illiterate.
>
> Never forget that these "illiterate" are the masses, and that's what
> you will ultimately have to work with, if you want to give them a
> flag. Us "better informed" can discuss and propose all we want, but if
> the masses don't take it, that flag won't fly.

But you couldn't go wrong. A lion would say strength &c, a cross would
say God's on our side, anything good like that. Nice colours, whatever!

Allegiance is really just imprinting, the way goslings imprint on an
animal psychologist for a mother. Give people something they can look at
and they'll find it very hard to change allegiance.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/