LL-L "Grammar" 2010.06.03 (01) [EN]

Thu Jun 3 14:44:29 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 03 June 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.06.02 (03) [EN-NDS]

Dear Lowlanners,

Reinhard wrote:

*I wonder if present-tense plural -en in the colonial dialects is due to
influences of immigrants from the Dutch- and/or German-speaking areas to the
Baltic Sea coast (which began in earnest in the 12th century).*

Yes, I'm thinking the same.
But - what about Eastern Frisia? Did it come up there by Dutch influence
only or is it part of Old Frisian heritage, maybe even in the Dutch/Flemish
languages and dialects as well?

And where did the preference for diminutives come from, which, as we know,
are nearly unknown in the center of the Low Saxon language area, but widely
spread in some of the above mentioned 'colonial dialects' as well as in
Western (Standard) German and Dutch? I even dare to say: the farer to the
East (East Prussia, Baltic German [*Baltendeutsch*, which was spoken by the
German minority in Livonia and Estonia]) and the farer to the West
([Northern?] Netherlands, Dutch-influenced Low Saxon, German Rhine-area) the
more people seem to like to belittle their wording.

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm
Lower Saxony Germany

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Grammar

Remember also that there is something of a western buffer zone, namely an
area that was inhabited by Slavic speakers in Western Holstein, all the way
to Eastern Hamburg, and in the eastern reaches of the Lunenburg Heath, and
Hanne also mentioned Western Mecklenburg. These are *–t* dialects and they
have few if any diminutive forms. My hunch is that they became mixed
Slavic-Saxon-speaking earlier and had little if any Dutch-speaking influx.

As for extensive use of the diminutive in the eastern regions, I have always
assume that it was at least in part Slavic-based (as in the *-ink* ~
*-ing*ending possibly from Slavic
*-inka*), farther east reinforced by Dutch and perhaps German (*-ken*, *-ke*,
*-tje* etc.).

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>