LL-L "Administrativia" 2010.06.11 (01) [EN]

Fri Jun 11 17:42:00 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 11 June 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject. LL-L "Administrativia" 2010.06.10 (01) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Administrativia
>
> I don’t know what others will think about your Twitter idea. I
> personally have an account but am not using it. Somehow I don’t get
> the point, what with all those tiny snippets flying around.
>
> Let's talk about it again if people like the idea.

Twitter isn't that easy to get any practical use out of, I think.

If an analogy would help, I'd guess most other options (mailing lists,
Facebook, blogs) are like having some prefabricated rooms to put
together to make a house, while Twitter is more like a pile of bricks.

The prefabricated stuff needs less thought and can be got working
easily, whereas the bricks take a lot more work but the end result will
be either much more "you", or just a mess if you get too much of it
wrong.

You're supposed to build up about two hundred followers in order to get
the benefit, and it helps a lot if you're aiming for something rather
than just post aimlessly. I believe it can be quite difficult to find a
formula that works, but I keep coming back to it in the hope of getting
it plumbed in properly this time.

The most frustrating thing I find is that it's difficult to get any
focus: my friends split into very different interest groups, and they
all pile on as followers regardless, and then on top of that I get a lot
of followers where I'm not even sure who they are or what they do or why
they'd want to follow me, or they look like they have the same interests
as me but tweet shedloads of stuff I couldn't care less about, or
they're actual friends who post what they're doing every time they lift
a finger, and you just have to put up with it.

I think to get the most out of Twitter you need to be in it for the long
haul, paring and tweaking your followers list and continually thinking
about how to get more out of it.

I haven't tweeted for six months but have been thinking of giving it
another try recently.

So yes, it does sound like a lot of work and no promise of a return
unless you hit on a formula that works for you.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>