LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.06.18 (02) [EN]

Fri Jun 18 20:18:56 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 18 June 2010 - Volume 02*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.06.18 (01) [EN]

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

the best way to learn more about Low Saxon is to talk with native
"Nedersaksen" in the Netherlands, but to deal as much as possible with the
Dutch/Belgian Standard-Taal as well.

Yesterday my friend Piet Bult from Stellingwerf (NL) and I came across the
different words for *"frog"* *('anura')* and *"toad" (*archaic* "paddock")*
*('bufonidae').*

*frog:* NL *"kikker";* DE *"Frosch";* LS (German, Lower Elbe-region) *"Poggen",
"Puggen", "Ütschen"(*)*

*toad:* NL *"pad, padde";* DE *"Kröte";* LS (Stellingwerfs, NL)
*"podde";*LS (German, Lower Elbe-region)
*"Kroot"; *LS (German, diff. regions) *"Padde",* *"Padden"*

*[*(***) *Ütschen**(***)* originally denotes a DE "*Unke",* *'bombina';* NL
"vuurbuikpadde", "onheilsprofeet"(****). Someone told me anytime that this
mistake had been occured by any fairytale of the Grimm brothers(!) -
probably wrongly translated it found its solid place in our Low Saxon
language.

(****)In German we also connect 'Unke' as well as the Netherlanders with the
'prophesy of doom'. In this sense we even use the verbum "unken" in daily
language.

(*****) Does anyone know the meaning of "Ültje" (which is a brand of the
Unilever Company now)? In de.wiki I just found that the word is from Eastern
Frisian Low Saxon, denoting a 'peanut'. I dont believe in this, because, if
it should make sense, it should be 'oiltje' - 'oil-{nut}'.*]*

In my dialect the frog is also a 'Pugg', but the toad is called 'Üütz'. I
haven't heard 'Kroot' or 'Padde'. According to my etymological dictionary
'Üütz' is not related to 'Unke'. I'm not sure what the sentence about the
Brothers Grimm means, but if you say that their tales somehow influenced the
meaning of the word, that's not correct. 'utze' meaning toad is already
present in Middle Low Saxon (Schiller-Lübben:
<http://drw-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/drw-cgi/zeige?db=dig&darstellung=v&index=buecher&term=schiller-luebben+v&seite=g184-185&blaettere_g186-187=+%3E+><http://drw-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/drw-cgi/zeige?db=dig&darstellung=v&index=buecher&term=schiller-luebben+v&seite=g184-185&blaettere_g186-187=+%3E+>
).

Marcus Buck