LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.06.19 (02) [EN-FY]

Sat Jun 19 20:50:10 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 19 June 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.06.19 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.06.18 (02) [EN]

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

the best way to learn more about Low Saxon is to talk with native
"Nedersaksen" in the Netherlands, but to deal as much as possible with the
Dutch/Belgian Standard-Taal as well.

Yesterday my friend Piet Bult from Stellingwerf (NL) and I came across the
different words for *"frog"**('anura')* and *"toad" (*archaic* "paddock")* *
('bufonidae').*

*frog:* NL *"kikker";* DE *"Frosch";* LS (German, Lower Elbe-region) *"Poggen",
"Puggen", "Ütschen"(*)*

Most Belgian Brabantish dialects of Dutch also have a word related to German
Frosch, but with metathesis. "Vors", where almost everywhere the normal
change or > ör occurs and r often disappears, giving "vörs" (northwest) or
"vös" (south and east). It also occasionally occurs in a compound form,
"kikvö(r)s" or "kinkvö(r)s" (also spotted in Netherlandish Brabant);

I guess Standard Dutch got its word "kikker" from the first element of this
compound. "kikvors" is still a slightly archaic synonym in the
standard language as well, now mostly used in "kikvorsman", a diver in a
diving suit cuz they look somewhat like frogs I guess.

Around Antwerp in the very northwest the Brabantish "vörs"-massive collides
with a (younger?) "puit"-front tho (Antw. city also "peut"), which is used
in western North Brabant (in the Netherlands) as well, and IIRC also the
normal word in East Flanders so it probably expanded from there over the
Scheldt river.

In modern days, Dutch "kikker" is highly expansive tho, like most standard
language words for animals.

Diederik

It Westerlauwersk Frysk het "kikkert" (it mear normale wurd, tinkt my) en de
farianten "froask" en "frosk" [frwask] / [frOsk], de earste mei brekking
fansels.

Foar Nederlânsk "pad" hewwe wy "podde", neffens my hat it Oertsjongersk
(Stellingwerfs) dit oernommen; dizze taal hat ommers in hele protte Fryske
lienwurden. At it my goed heucht hewwe de oare Nedersaksyske tongslaggen om
uzes in -a- as lûd (padde, of soks).

Groetnis,

Henno Brandsma

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com