LL-L "Language use" 2010.03.06 (01) [EN]

Sun Mar 7 01:37:46 UTC 2010

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.03.04 (01) [EN]

Dear Lowlanders,

I have discovered another interesting resource: Through "Uitzending Gemist"
I watched on Omroep Fryslan the "Liet Ynternasjonaal 2009" in Ljouwert and I
was slightly impressed by the Plattduetsch (Low Saxon) contribution "De
fofftig Penns" from Bremen. This is electro-rave in Plattduetsch and one of
the members , the so called "Riemelmeester Malde" was interviewed before the
concert and he does not only speak very authentic and fluent Plattduetsch
but also pretty good Dutch! They have a website as well, so please check:

http://www.defofftigpenns.de

They are selling T-shirts with the imprint: *"Raven tegen Hoochdüütsch"
(Rave against High German). Interesting, I thought...*

*Groeten,
Helge

----------

*From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Thanks a lot, Helge! What fun!

I checked out their website, which is pretty slick. If anyone else does,
please click on "Media" and then on "Videos" to watch a number of videos of
performances and reports. There's even a CNN report in English!

Seattle, USA

P.S.: Talking about T-shirts ... Yesterday, in a Chinese supermarket here in
Seattle, I saw a woman of East Asian extraction wearing a T-shirt with Low
Saxon "De Smeerlappen" printed on it in large letters. I wanted to ask her
about it, but she disappeared in the crowd. Originally *Smeerlappen* means
something like "grease rag," and *de* means "the." Now, the German
equivalent *Schmierlappen* can also mean something that in English is
"sleaze ball" or "slime bag."

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com