LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.08 (05) [EN]

Mon Mar 8 22:02:42 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 08 March 2010 - Volume 05*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.08 (04) [EN]

 Beste Diederick, Piet, Jonny, Ron & all the rest of us:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Re: The word 'broedlachte' for 'wedding', spoken in Twente and Achterhoek.

May I toss in a modest reference? To Afrikaans 'bruilof' - 'wedding,
espousals, nuptuals, marriage'. I expect Afrikaans is just too far from the
roots to help deduce the meaning of the elements of the term. I used to
suppose the 'lof' bit meant what it sounded like, 'praise' since that is
what you do, 'toejuiging van die bruidspaar'. Nonsense, I know.

With best regards from Mark, currently lurking. Sadly, much as I may enjoy
reading it, I can contribute little to the string on Plats & all the rest.

With thanks to you all.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com