LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.10 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Wed Mar 10 16:14:51 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 10 March 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.09 (05) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

" By the way, some Low Saxon dialects do have *naschen* in the sense of ‘to
snack on treats’, but I suspect this is a German loan. Many other dialects
use *snopen*, which is related to Dutch *snoepen*....."

"Snap" is widely used in northern England for a packed lunch, such as when
an excavator driver asked me "Eyah brung ya snap?" (have you brought your
lunch?).  These "packed lunch" words have quite specific mapped areas in
England, with variations on "snap" and "bait" being the most common. "Crib"
also occurs, though mainly in a mining context, from which it has entered
Australian mining language.

Paul

Derby

England

---------

From: Joachim <Osnabryg+Lowlands at googlemail.com<Osnabryg%2BLowlands at googlemail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.10 (01) [NDS, DE, EN]

An'n 10.03.10 03:13, Reynke de haan scraif:

I can not find the Old English ancestor of “gnash.” According to the *Oxford
* *English Dictionary*, it appeared in the 15th century and may be related
to archaic “to gnast” from Old Norse *gnísta*, an ablaut form of
**gnaist*‘to gnash’. I, however, am wondering if “gnash” came from
Middle Saxon, in
part because the 15th century saw more or less intensive contacts between
Britain and the Hanseatic Trading League, and the shift **gnast* >
*gnash*would seem somewhat unusual. Any
ideas about this?

Hoi Ron & ål:

achter dem, wat miin Etymo-Duden segt (indrag "naschen"), is de wuordel *
gemeengermansk*, dårümme AHaugD *naskōn*
Dansk *naske & gnaske*, Swed. *naska & gnask*, NDS (LGerm) *naschen/nasken &
gnaschen/gnasken* un bedüt ursprünklik DE 'knabbern, schmatzen'.

Bito, Ault-Nuorsk: knirschen: *gnīst-a*, g-not-ra. Knirschen: *gnast-an*

In hütigen Standard DE is de bedüding verengt up EN "to pinch a bit (not
allowed)" (van kinderen) un van dår wier verålgemeent up EN ‘to snack on
treats’ (van vulwuossene).

*Andacht:*
de graute Westfœlske Sassen-Tall hadde dat jümmers anners bruukt (Klöntrups
WB van ca 1824):
*
Naskerigge* DE: 'Geschwätz' (EN chitchat, idle talk)
*Naske* DE 'Plaudertasche' (EN a being, mostly female with the leaning to
chitchat)
*nasken* (auch wohl *dasken*) DE 'etwas daherplaudern, was nicht der Mühe
werth ist oder nicht erzählt werden soll'; (EN to twaddle, chat)
*das hochdeutsche naschen heißt hier (NDS) snopen.* (The HiGerm 'naschen' is
here, LoGerman, *snopen*)

By the way, some Low Saxon dialects do have *naschen* in the sense of ‘to
snack on treats’, but I suspect this is a German loan.

 Nee, ås buawen segt, met de wortwuordel nig in sin van HiGerman, jüst
Gemeen-Germansk. Standard DE is (de verenging van) de bedüding up EN 'to
pinch a bit' un lickerigge.

Ik glöiwe, de verscillene bedüding van snacken laut sik dür MNDüüdsk
(Lübbens Mnd. WB) entslüeteln:

*vorsnacken de tît:* die Zeit verplaudern.

…wan Ji verstået wat ik meene…

Met echt-westfœlsken »Goutgaun!«
joachim
--