LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.03.10 (03) [EN]

Wed Mar 10 22:34:17 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 10 March 2010 - Volume 03*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.10 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
 > Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.09 (05) [EN]
>
> "Snap" is widely used in northern England for a packed lunch, such as
> when an excavator driver asked me "Eyah brung ya snap?" (have you
> brought your lunch?).  These "packed lunch" words have quite specific
> mapped areas in England, with variations on "snap" and "bait" being
> the most common. "Crib" also occurs, though mainly in a mining
> context, from which it has entered Australian mining language.

In Scots a packed lunch is called a "piece". "Hiv ye got yer piece?" and
 suchlike.

A "piece" is actually a sandwich, ("a piece" or "a piece an jam", "a
piece an cheese" &c), originally a packed lunch was called a "piece"
because it could consist of just that.

A "dookie piece" is a slice of bread soaked in the gravy of whatever
meat is simmering on the stove: one way to keep hungry children going
while waiting for dinner to cook, and helping to thicken a pot which is
taking too long to boil down!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Isn't it somewhere in Northern England that they call a sandwich a "butt'ry"
(< "buttery"? the "u" pronounced as in "put")?

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com