LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.10 (04) [EN]

Wed Mar 10 22:36:21 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 10 March 2010 - Volume 04*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.10 (02) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology

> The origin of Dutch *lawaai* 'noise', 'racket' is apparently considered
unclear. Some have suspected it of going back to Hebrew
*lĕwa(’)y*(לְוַ(א)י) 'oh, would that ...!' or 'If only ...!'.
Personally, I am
wondering if it came via the Bargoens cant and Yiddish (*levaye*) from
Hebrew *lĕwāyāh* (לְוָיָה) 'funeral' (an occasion of loud wailing). Of
course I consider it possible that the two Hebrew words are etymologically
linked.
In my Lonerland Limburgish the word is "*lawèèt*".
I see a link with walloon.
I bought the Central Walloon Dictionary of the municipality of Moustier last
week-end and I still have it on my desk:

I find (omitting examples)
*lawe*: trait mordant, brocard.....
*lawer*: railler, brocarder...
*lawerîyes*: railleries...
*laweter*: brocarder, railler....
*lawetadje*: raillerie
*laweteû:* railleur

Since the translation is into French, some help:
*railler*: make ia fool of someone
*brocarder:* ridicule, mock, deride, scoff at

I have been quoting from:
Emile Gilliard, *Dictionnaire wallon, Niyau d' ratoûrnûres et d'mots walons
d'après Moustî èt avaur la (payis d' Nameur),* 2007, Dîre èt scrîre è walon,
Liège, no ISBN, xiv + 690 pp, lage size, 2 cols/page. (was sold for 75
euro at the booth of the "Ministère de la Communauté française" at the
"Foire du Livre" in "Tour & Taxis" last week-end.). Gilliard uses the
traditional Feller orthography.
Regards,
Roger

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com