LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.16 (01) [EN]

Tue Mar 16 16:19:48 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 16 March 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.09 (02) [EN]

Getelands has the word nassen, meaning, when referring to pigs, "feed from
the trough". Middle Dutch knew nasschen

Kind regards,

Roger Hondshoven
Diest (East-Brabant) Belgium

----------

From: Paul Anisman <panisman at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.11 (03) [DE-EN-NDS]

Ron - A bit of a "stale" post at this point, but, after several days
(changed email address, etc.) I did manage to get a hold of Leybl....asked
him if he ever heard "halevay" used as a noun.  He and I both concur that we
never have.
--Paul

 From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Hanne.

This *Lawei* ([lɒˈvaˑɪ]), though meaning 'face' here, is rather interesting
because it occurs also in the alternative form of *Allewei* ([ʔaleˈvaˑɪ]).

About Dutch *lawaai* 'noise' I had written:

 The origin of Dutch *lawaai* 'noise', 'racket' is apparently considered
unclear. Some have suspected it of going back to Hebrew
*lĕwa(’)y*(לְוַ(א)י) 'oh, would that ...!' or 'If only ...!'.
Personally, I am
wondering if it came via the Bargoens cant and Yiddish (*levaye*) from
Hebrew *lĕwāyāh* (לְוָיָה) 'funeral' (an occasion of loud wailing). Of
course I consider it possible that the two Hebrew words are etymologically
linked.

This Hebrew *lĕway* (לְוַי) 'oh, would that ...!' or 'If only ...!', 'May it
come to pass!' also has the alternative forms *halĕway* (הַלְוַי) and *
alĕway* (אַלְוַי)! *Alevay* is a standard interjection in this sense in
Yiddish, Yinglish and Yeshivish.

(Leybl *et al.*, please help me out here! Can't *alevay* be used as a
Yiddish noun referring to loud calls, *geshrey* to implore G-d?)

I understand that Low Saxon *Lawai* ~ *Allewei* are colloquialisms along the
lines of "gop", "mug" or so for "face" in English. What do "face" (Low
Saxon) and "noise" (Dutch) have in common? Screaming!

----------

From: From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Paul!

Thanks a lot for that effort. I truly appreciate it.

For some reason I had this vague notion that I read in Yiddish literature
references to things like "there was much alevay". But perhaps maybe I'm
remembering it wrong. This wouldn't be the first time.

Take care!

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com