LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.03.16 (06) [EN]

Tue Mar 16 21:24:20 UTC 2010

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2010.03.16 (02) [EN]

Roger Hondshoven:
http://dialect.ruhosting.nl/
http://www.let.ru.nl/dialect-bin/wbd_cgi.pl?db=materiaalbasis323&field=lemmatitel&word=dadel&sort=lemmatitel&browse=on
 Woordenboek der Brabantse Dialecten gives "dit-en-dat" for P145 = Tienen
(only hit, so muct be very local!); although P088 = Leuven has "van dit en
van dat", "van ditte en van datte" or "van ditten en datte".
Two questions, 1) does this mean a singular 'date' "dit-en-dat" gives a
plural 'dates' "ditten-en-datten" like you wrote, with 2 plural endings? Or
would you have a different singualr than the dictionary suggests. 2) does
this mean "dit" is still in use in your parts of Brabant? I have only heard
"dees" also for neutr.

Greetings!
Diederik, Norway.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Roger,

Certain words just sound kind of silly to certain people, so they like to
"embellish" them, i.e. play with them. *Dattel* 'date (the fruit)' (in
Dutch, Low Saxon and German, apparently and old diminutive form) does sound
a little funny and does bear some resemblance to Dutch and Low Saxon
*dat*'that', or dialectical
*datte*. So, so I can see the connection in the silly name *dittenendatten*.

It seems a bit similar to what our Tom Mc Rae (wearing the hat of the New
McGonegall) did with "squid":
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/mcrae_new_mcg_squidledeydoo.php

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com