LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.17 (01) [EN]

Wed Mar 17 15:43:29 UTC 2010

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jmtait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.16 (07) [AF-EN]

 Mark Dreyer wrote:

> John, your letter on the living tongue of the Shetland Isles was the
> saddest thing I have read in a long time. Forgive me that I clothe my
> distress in black mockery. What is this undead thing you speak that you will
> not name? Is it a cadaver that lean & hungry linguists in stained robes must
> call back with Dark Art to give tongue from half-forgotten grimoires or
> forbidden books? Or else is it a babe new-born, nurtured in a creed outworn,
> babbling its wants uncaring of scholars' dainty sensibilities, only so long
> as it is heard!

Hi Mark,

I haven't replied to your post bit by bit because I think what I would say
will come out in my replies to other posts, and I would just be repeating
myself - which I do only too often. I trust you understand that the comments
re: Shetland Dialect are not my own but reflect criticisms I have received -
sarcasm being another of my failings!

> By the way, what is a Sheltie?

The word 'Sheltie' usually refers to a Shetland Pony, and perhaps a Shetland
Sheepdog.

John M. Tait.