LL-L "Names" 2010.03.17 (06) [EN]

Wed Mar 17 21:26:05 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 17 March 2010 - Volume 06*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.17 (01) [EN]

Dear John:

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Believe, I picked up the sarcasm, which is why I made special note of the
"you(plural)". I certainly don't hold you answerable for the mess. For the
rest, your exposition is very thorough indeed, not merely in matters of
fact, but the emotional issues clouding them over. By the way - sarcasm is
not a failing - in my book.

You say the word 'Sheltie' usually refers to a Shetland Pony, and perhaps a
Shetland Sheepdog. Well, what does it *unusually* refer to? I ask because
Robertson, in his book 'Of Whales & Men' calls the Shetland Islanders on
board 'Shelties' & not in mockery, scorn or contempt. These men had his
heartiest respect, as with his shipmates. He is not my only reference, in
case you want me to annotate them.

Now, considering Afrikaners: There is also a breed of cattle by that name,
for one (only we spell it 'Afrikander' going by the orthography of the times
that spawned the breed). There is no insult, actual or implied, to the breed
or the people, by association or by the nomencalture. Go onto 'Boer' & you
will find many times more such associations.

As for your kin to the South, there is Scotland, Scot, Scottish, Scotch &
Scots, to say nothing of Scottie. Ringinging the changes brings you the
Land, the broth, the porrige, the children's game, the sweet, deerhound,
terrier, wiskey among much besides, & not the least, the man. Is the People
brought into contempt by association with all the rest? Is mine? I think
not. Can you(singular) not carry this across to your fellows? It's worth a
try.

Go for it, Sheltie! I have a married-on cousin surnamed Tait.

Yrs,
Mark.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com