LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.17 (07) [EN]

Wed Mar 17 21:27:58 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 17 March 2010 - Volume 07*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Diederik,

perhaps you are able to help because you are familiar with the Norwegian
languages.

I'm looking for the meaning of Norwegian words containing "Kalve-",
"Kalven-", "Kalv-" like in 'Loppekalven', 'Kalvesund' or 'Kalvsundet'
(Finmark). I don't think that this has anything to do with E 'calf, calves'
but could be an (archaic?) word for a special type of island.
Here in my homeland, in the Elbe River we have two times this curious
"Kalv-" or "Kalb-" as well: "Kalberdanz" and "Hanskalbsand"; the
first, still well known by the natives, probably denoting a kind of flat
sand, the second is the official name for an island near Hamburg (the prefix
'Hans-' here could be a spoiled 'has-', meaning 'grey').

Thanks in advance!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm
Lower Saxony, Germany