LL-L "Names" 2010.03.18 (02) [EN]

Thu Mar 18 16:52:18 UTC 2010

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jmtait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2010.03.17 (06) [EN]

 Mark Dreyer wrote:

> You say the word 'Sheltie' usually refers to a Shetland Pony, and perhaps
> a Shetland Sheepdog. Well, what does it unusually refer to? I ask because
> Robertson, in his book 'Of Whales & Men' calls the Shetland Islanders on
> board 'Shelties' & not in mockery, scorn or contempt. These men had his
> heartiest respect, as with his shipmates. He is not my only reference, in
> case you want me to annotate them.

Well, people from Shetland are not normally referred to as 'Shelties'. If
it's from a book about whaling, it sounds like it was a slang description of
Shetlanders used on merchant ships. I can imagine it being used in this
context (similar to schoolchildren's usage) but it's certainly not
widespread or usual.

> As for your kin to the South, there is Scotland, Scot, Scottish, Scotch &
> Scots, to say nothing of Scottie. Ringinging the changes brings you the
> Land, the broth, the porrige, the children's game, the sweet, deerhound,
> terrier, wiskey among much besides, & not the least, the man. Is the People
> brought into contempt by association with all the rest? Is mine? I think
> not. Can you(singular) not carry this across to your fellows? It's worth a
> try.

The adjectives associated with Scotland are very complicated!

  I have a married-on cousin surnamed Tait.

Oh dear! My sincerest commiserations!

(BTW, Tait is a fossilised Norse nickname, from Teitr meaning 'merry.' If
you knew me you would realise how ridiculous that is!)

John M Tait.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com