LL-L "Technica" 2010.03.18 (07) [EN]

Thu Mar 18 21:42:20 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 18 March 2010 - Volume 07*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technicas" 2010.03.18 (06) [EN]

"Normal" is illegible; I could read 13.5 pt Arial, but what I prefer is
plain text.

From: Pauline A Christensen <Polly.Christensen at colorado.edu>

AKK! Smaller font MUCh better. No to 13.5 Arial. Especially bad when you
want to print out something; it takes twice as much paper..

(Yes, I am a typographer.)

Thank you.

Polly Christensen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Thanks, Michael and Polly!

Michael, I wonder if it has something to do with your computer monitor
setting, because 9pt or 10pt Arial or Helvetica should really not be
illegible. Have you tried zooming in if your program permits this?

As for plain text, the upshot of earlier discussions on this was that most
people prefer to have formatting capabilities, such as bolding, italicizing
and indenting, also the use of colors. Also, many people run into problems
with special characters and right-to-left scripts in plain text. Lastly,
quoted text marking tends to disappear in plain text, most people are too
lazy to mark quoted text manually, and it would be way too much work for me
to go through everyone's texts, figure out what is quoted and then mark it
for them.*

*By the way, folks, let me remind you again that, if you just hit the reply
button, an entire issue will be quoted, usually dangling at the end of your
message. Whenever this happens I chop it off mercilessly, and I don't care
if your response makes no sense without this reference. You are requested to
quote only the portions that are relevant to your responses. If everyone's
"full danglers" appeared we'd end up with LL-L issues miles and miles in
length.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com