LL-L "Technica" 2010.03.18 (11) [EN]

Thu Mar 18 22:07:57 UTC 2010

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.03.18 (07) [EN]

On 18 Mar 2010, at 21:42, Lowlands-L List wrote:

> Michael, I wonder if it has something to do with your computer monitor
setting, because 9pt or 10pt Arial or Helvetica should really not be
illegible. Have you tried zooming in if your program permits this?

Come on, Ron. I've been using e-mail since EARN days.

I use Apple Mail. I have my fonts set to use Everson Mono at a size I
prefer. But you are sending out formatted mail with something set so that it
is not turned into plain text. And you had it set to, well, whatever
"Normal" is seems to be 9-point, which is too small to read.

> As for plain text, the upshot of earlier discussions on this was that most
people prefer to have formatting capabilities, such as bolding, italicizing
and indenting, also the use of colors.

YahooGroups lists allow the user to choose whether he wishes to have "Full
Formatting" or "Plain text"... This is evidently coming from Google, but I
can't find any way of altering any settings.

> Also, many people run into problems with special characters and
right-to-left scripts in plain text.

Well, be that as it may, I *still* can't read what you are sending out
because it is too small.

> Lastly, quoted text marking tends to disappear in plain text,

Not with modern e-mail clients.

> most people are too lazy to mark quoted text manually, and it would be way
too much work for me to go through everyone's texts, figure out what is
quoted and then mark it for them.

Well, is it necessary for this list to be moderated?

Anyway whatever you do, please do not send 9-point Helvetica. It is painful
to read.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Here’s another experiment. By copying, pasting, copy and pasting via Word, I
am trying to send this out in Arial 12pt (which is not an option within the
Gmail). But I don’t know what this will do to quoted text that is indented
or so.

Switching back and forth between plain text and html modes *is* an option in
our archives (http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html). I
am not sure if this is an option for email recipients. I am bccing someone
at LINGUIST on this.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com