LL-L "Technica" 2010.03.18 (13) [EN]

Thu Mar 18 22:35:18 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 18 March 2010 - Volume 13*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.03.18 (11) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>

> Here’s another experiment. By copying, pasting, copy and pasting via Word,
I am trying to send this out in Arial 12pt (which is not an option within
the Gmail). But I don’t know what this will do to quoted text that is
indented or so.

In the Gmail compose mode there is a button next to the formatting info that
says "Plain text".

----------

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.03.18 (07) [EN]

Polly said:

> AKK! Smaller font MUCh better. No to 13.5 Arial. Especially bad when you
want to print out something; it takes twice as much paper..

> (Yes, I am a typographer.)

So am I, Polly. But my 24" cinema display is 85 cm from my eyes, and Apple
Mail does not let me arbitrarily increase point size of incoming HTML mail.

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

> Also, many people run into problems with special characters and
right-to-left scripts in plain text.

Do we get a lot of Yiddish here? And special character failure should be a
client problem. If you are sending out UTF-8 (and you should be) then

Þorn thorn, ƕair hwair, ȝogh yogh. That should be a simple enough test.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Technica

Michael,

In the Gmail compose mode there is a button next to the formatting info that
says "Plain text".

 I was talking about 12pt not being an option. The plain text option does
exist in *composing*, and I had said this earlier:

As for plain text, the upshot of earlier discussions on this was that most
people prefer to have formatting capabilities, such as bolding, italicizing
and indenting, also the use of colors.

The plain text option exists at the archives, as I said:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html

As a subscriber you can also respond from there.

Do we get a lot of Yiddish here?

Yes, also Hebrew and Arabic.

Anyway, it looks as though the copying-pasting 12pt thing works. But quoted
text marking disappears unless it uses > or such, which most people don’t
use.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com