LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.18 (14) [EN]

Thu Mar 18 23:37:05 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 18 March 2010 - Volume 14*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.17 (01) [EN]

> From: jmtait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.15 (06) [EN]

> Certainly Shetland popular opinion would seem to suggest so. Typical
> comments from people who knew I was interested in (The)
> (Sh(a)etlan(d(ic))) (D/dialect) have been: "Hit's deein oot, an hit's
> laekly a guid thing"; "If you teach it dat'll kill it aff" and "Weel,
> I'm no sayin I'm wantin it ta dee oot, bit..." Many people find only
> the dialect of their own immediate area acceptable, and object far
> more if their children pick up pronunciations from other parts of
> Shetland than if they speak only standard English. Some still object
> to the use of dialect on Radio Shetland, but nobody seems to object to
> SIBC which, I am told, has a non-dialect policy. Overall, the message
> is clear. Whether we are better off without it or not, it's not
> something we want to make an unseemly fuss about. In the UHI, I argued
> for local ownership of Shetland culture, and if this is what
> Shetlanders want I have no right to object.

I would sum this up as "situation normal".

It's an unpopular opinion that I've expressed on the list before that
languages don't so often die from oppression as from the fact that their
speakers decide they'd rather speak something else.

Or they'd rather their children speak something else.

What can an individual do? It depends on what they like to do. I like to
avoid politics but I wouldn't underestimate the importance of making a
body of literature available at a time like this. In the end it can mean
the difference between a remembered (and perhaps revivable) language,
and a forgotten language.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/