LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.19 (01) [EN]

Fri Mar 19 16:29:26 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 19 March 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.18 (03) [DE-EN-NDS-NN]

Thanks very much, Diederik,

for your investigations about 'kalv':

*It's meaning 2 you're looking for, it says litterally "smaller island or
water next to bigger one(s?); piece of glacier that has broken off". **
So the general idea seems to be "smaller piece next to a bigger entity", be
it a lake, an island, or a glacier.
I suppose in this meaning it's related to the Dutch verb "afkalven",
"geleidelijk afbrokkelen (m.n. van oevers)". Hard to translate this one to
English but it's something like "slow but steadily breaking down (of
(river)bank)".
I guess they thought the small islands surrounding a bigger one had
originally broken off the bigger one.*

I think THAT'S IT! Of course - no connection to any calf or cow at all! And
interesting is - important part of my hobby etymological experiences - that,
in special the near-by Dutch relation, as it occures very often if you want
to succeed in LS, is able to lift the mysterious 'fog'!

Allerbest and thanks again! Very, very useful, helpful and enlightening all
conclusions to find out the old roots of specifically, micro-located naval
designations! All the nonsense and "Google-proven-" or "we've learned it at
school-"-attestes about ridicule "dancing calves" definitely should end at
this point!

With best regards

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany