LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.20 (01) [DA-EN-NB]

Sat Mar 20 17:55:54 UTC 2010

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.19 (02) [EN]

A very distant and probably questionable connection of thought: In Hamburg
the family name "Klobedanz" exists. I know people of this name. "kleven,
kleben"...? Is this an older form of "Kalverdanz"?

Hartlich

Marlou

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Very interesting, Marcus.
Germanic names for ‘calf’ (**kalba-*) are supposed to be related to
Indo-European **gelebh-* etc. ‘to mass together’, ‘to agglomerate’, ‘to
cluster’, ‘to ball together’ (probably related to “cleave”, *kleven*, *
kleben* etc.). In other words, I guess, a calf is seen as a little
fluff-ball. I suppose this idea of “ball” is also why we have ‘calf (of the
leg)’ in English, denoting this pronounced muscle bulge at the back of the
lower leg (Dutch *kuit*, Low Saxon *Wad’*, German *Wade*).

So I wonder if the idea about this broken-off piece of shore (or seemingly
broken off islet) stems from the perception of it as an earthen protrusion
(aggregate, agglomeration) that affects the water flow (to create some
turbulence) and thereby makes a passing boat “dance”. This would have led to
a connection with the more understandable meaning of *Kalverdanz* as ‘calf’s
dance’, the silly hopping that frolicking calves tend to perform. This, in
turn, may have been connected with the biblical extension Hanne mentioned:
the dance around the golden calf of the erring (silly) Israelites.

Seattle, USA