LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.23 (01) [EN]

Tue Mar 23 16:49:18 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 23 March 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.20 (01) [DA-EN-NB]

Hi Ron,

You wrote: Germanic names for ‘calf’ (**kalba-*) are supposed to be related
to Indo-European **gelebh-* etc. ‘to mass together’, ‘to agglomerate’, ‘to
cluster’, ‘to ball together’ (probably related to “cleave”, *kleven*, *
kleben* etc.). In other words, I guess, a calf is seen as a little
fluff-ball. I suppose this idea of “ball” is also why we have ‘calf (of the
leg)’ in English, denoting this pronounced muscle bulge at the back of the
lower leg (Dutch *kuit*, Low Saxon *Wad’*, German *Wade*).

I would like to add a Brabantish term for *calf (kuit): braai  */broê).
Middle Dutch had *brade, braye, bra*, meaning *muscle, calf, broiled
meat. *Looks
very much like Afrikaans *braai*, of course with a different meaning.

Roger Hondshoven
Diest (East-Brabant) Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com